I wanted to do a series of three posts to give you all my BEST packing tips! I leave on Sunday at 5:55 am (WOOF) and my last date on the calendar is September 20th! I will be out there for a long time and you all would be surprised about how I fit it all in! Here will be my three topics:
- Luggage and general packing
- Clothing, shoes, and staying fashionable in a 21″ suitcase
So Lets get started!
- I work very hard to keep EVERYTHING in my computer bag and my 21″ Suitcase. I ALWAYS pick a hard shell suitcase for this reason: it consolidates your clothing to fit into it instead of of expanding to fit your clothing. I have an ADORABLE blush Samsonite right now. I do not spend big dollars on this suitcase because it gets so beat up. I only like to spend about $100 on these. If you overpack – like I so frequently do – and it becomes truly heavy, carry it around like a package instead of by the handle because they have a tendency to break… spoken from experience. (This is not my suitcase, but similar.) I always buy my suitcases at Marshall’s or TJ Maxx.
- Also, a computer bag. I have tried A LOT of different bags. Diaper bags, Tory Burch, Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs. Last year I made a HUGE investment and bought the Louis Vuitton Neverfull GM. I know people complain about the straps digging into you, which any bag will do, in my opinion. In order to prevent this, I place my bag on top of my carry-on and roll it holding the handle of my suitcase and the straps of my bag… It helps with running through airports to make connections! The straps are super durable and I do not feel like they are ripping under all of the pressure (which happened with every single one of my other bags). And finally, this is my only handbag on the road so I want it to communicate who I am but at the same time take care of a worthy investment.
- I am super regimented in my packing. On the non-zip pocket side of my suitcase, I always put my pajamas and workout clothing, running shoes and my toiletry bags. I put my running shoes in and in-between where I place my workout clothing. Sometimes I stuff items into my shoes (tank tops & socks). I will also pack a pair of sleeping socks and a sweatshirt over on this side as well. Now on the other side, under the zippered section I put my work clothing. I pack dresses mostly because there are less pieces. I try to lay them as flat as possible, then place my shoes on top of them… again the clothes will give to fit your shoes. I know SO many people who pack shoes first – this is a HUGE waste of space. After I zip in my work attire and my shoes, I squeeze in my multiple toiletry bags… yes – I have four… sometimes five! I will show you on Friday!
Check out the pictures! They are super helpful! Get excited for tomorrow! SEND ME YOUR PACKING QUESTIONS! I will answer them as soon as I can! ** PS – Sorry all of my running shoes look SO GROSS! It might be about time to buy a new pair!