I talk a lot on the blog about how I eat and what I eat. I figured it would be fun for me to share my general grocery shopping list as well as a few tips and tricks I have picked up! So here it is!
Protein: This is the cornerstone of EVERY meal. I always think about what major source of protein I am going to put into breakfast, lunch or dinner. This is also where it hurts the most because this generally costs the most money! I think of it as rent or a mortgage… it will be the largest chunk being taken out of your pay check!
- 2 – 3 cartons of eggs (I always get free range and local)
- 1 slab of salmon (this will end up to be 4 servings)
- 4 pork chops
- 4 chicken breasts
Side note: Brendon’s parents raise beef so we generally do not have to buy burger or steaks… but when we lived in Seattle we would buy turkey burger as well.
Produce: In my opinion you can never have enough fresh fruits and veggies in the house! We have an awesome garden so in the summer we grow a lot of our own veggies. This is also where I get choosy about organic or not.
- 2 Large containers of Organic Spinach (I have heard that Spinach has the best nutritional value for you… even over Kale!)
- 2 heads of Broccoli
- 2 Bell Peppers
- 5 Tomatoes
- 2 Onions (one red one white)
- 2 Avocados
- 1 package of Brussels Sprouts OR Asparagus
- Sometimes 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Containers of Blueberries
- 1 Container of Strawberries
- 1 Container of Blackberries
- 1 Container of Raspberries (I eat berries when I get a sweet tooth in the middle of the day)
- 4 Pears/Peaches (depending on the season)
- 4 Apples
- 1 case of Satsumas/Clementines if they are available (I always have a hard time eating citrus but it is so important for your blood flow and metabolism)
Snacks: Now I use what is left of my budget to buy snacks! This is also where I purchase my little fun extras if I am planning a special meal or something.
- 1 LB. of Dried Figs from the bulk section (this is my GUILTY PLEASURE)
- at least 6 Stretch Island Fruit Leather Strips
- Sometimes a Buffalo Mozzarella Ball I am hankering for a caprese salad
- RED WINE!
- Salted Carmel Chocolate Bars – because sometimes it is the only thing that helps
- Nutella (the large container)
- Raw Cashews (from the bulk section)
Ask me any questions you all have! This is the plan that works for me… but I am always available to chat about solutions!